Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Back from the Doctor

Well we had our 2 appointments this morning.

We have been encouraged these last few days because we're starting to feel like Elliot is finally feeling better. His last dose of antibiotic was 10 days ago....and still no infection has come back! This is very good news...

So we met first with infectious disease. Let me say this first...I love this doctor. I really felt like he took the time to really understand what has been going on with Elliot and really explained to us how he based his assessment of him and what next steps we should take. I was very affirming. As for next steps...since Elliot is doing better...we're going start giving him some Singular - an allergy/asthma preventive medication. This will hopefully help reduce the inflation in his nose and just open his airways more so they can drain properly and reduce the mucus in his system so bacteria can thrive. Also he thinks the reflux medication we put him on in January is helping. Some of the "stuff" they found in Elliot's adenoid is usually found in his stomach and that means he was probably still dealing with reflux and that probably was causing his body to create more mucus to sooth his throat from the reflux. He's pretty sure this is not a milk allergy so we're going to slowly introduce that back into his diet....and we would be able to tell right away if it was a problem. So this visit was very informative and gave us at least some next steps to take.

After that we went to the ENT. Okay..this visit was a 180 degrees opposite the feeling I got at the ID doctor. I think the doctor was in for a whole 4 minutes...and it really felt like when I starting telling him what the ID doc said and suggested...he just checked out and figured we moved on to another doctor. So he just said Elliot looks fine and we'll see him in 6 months. Well....we'll see about that...I think I need to clear my head a little first before I make that appointment or decide just to switch ENT's. Maybe I'm expecting too much but it was such night and day difference from one doctors attention to the other. All I know is Elliot is starting to feel better..so that is all that matters. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers today and these last few weeks. All the encouragement has been wonderful.

2 comments:

Michelle L said...

That's certainly good news about your visit with the infectious disease doctor!

Jacki said...

Great news at your first visit! Good luck determining what you want to do with the ENT! I don't want to offend anyone... but we waited one time 25 mins for Katelyn's ENT and he came in, checked her and left in less than five mins... so it might be the profession. That said... its still not right!

I hope he continues to feel better!